Tuesday 12 June 2018

The lonely island


I am an island,
surrounded by the ocean,
That walls me out of the rest of the world.
The waves continuously creep into my shores,
Slowly and steadily,
Eating my shores away and taking my sands off into its bed.
Every day I change my facade as the ocean continuously breaks my frontiers.
There are times when  the ocean brews a storm beyond the horizon,
And it marches on with steady steps to trample my terrain mercilessly.
And I watch helplessly as it wrecks havoc,
riding wildly across me.                                                                                                                                        
 Every day, I lose my battle,
For I do not know what else to do.
I give away little by little,
And take all the hues, all the blues , with me.
Sometimes I wonder what am I, 
The island or the ocean?
I do not know where one ends, and where the other begins.
And yet what you see is just the lonely little island,
 So pleasant, warm and sunny.
For you do not know what storms  pass through me
And the battle  I lose, day by day.
One day, even before you realize,
All that would be left would be just the huge ocean.
You would be left to wonder,
Was there not an island out there in the middle of the ocean,
lonely and apart?


2 comments: